We grew comfortable

Then we stopped counting,
Counting how many months we had been happy.
Then I started to remember he stopped texting me cute random notes,
stopped sounding excited to hear my voice
We started to feel comfortable
I stopped knowing what it is to have an identity
I stopped feeling loved
He was too busy
I was too.
We started to communicate less
I started to drown in my depression
getting mad at things that didn't matter.

We were dying to learn how to balance life and love.
We argued to the point we liked to make the other feel pain,
We went too far
I went too far
We were dying
We were dying to feel comfort from one another again
We were dying to feel alive again
We died.
We were dying after death
We were dying to rise like sphinxes
We were dying to live again
We were dying to die in each other’s arms.
We didn’t know how to keep each other alive anymore
So we wanted to be deadly but together,

Dying already dead.
But dying isn't eternal,
So we died 'til extinction.

By Denisse Cotto AKA Poet Nissy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Funerals with Him's

I am a leftover to you (poem)