I am a leftover to you (poem)

I must be a leftover package,
Forgotten to recycle
Remembered to be ripped from the insides- out
To
take its goods
And
toss it to the side.
Like a child in Christmas morning
Feasting like a dog with its bone
Eyes like an owl
Hidden like a clown
a predator with its prey, ready to devour

I must be a leftover package to you.
Ripped from its identity
No name
No address
No history
Nothing to you

I really meant nothing to you,

The day I asked you if you really loved me once
It wasn’t because there were
shadows of love for you still hidden
In my closet
No
In fact I don’t feel anything for you
It was because
You lied
So well, back then.

And still do
You would tell me anything
To taste me again
Just taste me
As if
I were
one of the flavors
You needed to test
To see if you could take me home
To see if I hold some
value in your tongue. 

You would even pretend to be a friend
Like a snake
Ready to bite when least expected.

I must be a leftover package to you
A handed down through generations
Artifact to you,
Ready to be shipped when no longer needed,
Taped down like a mummy,
to hide its broken, 
missing
pieces

I really meant nothing to you.

I must be
a leftover
package
to you


 By Denisse Cotto AKA Poet Nissy





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Funerals with Him's

We grew comfortable